Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Using screw extractors to fix bull barrel python


Thanks to some helpful suggestions, I was able to extract the broken screws on the bull barrel python discussed here: http://coltpython.blogspot.com/2009/07/fixing-misfires-in-41-mag-python.html

I went to OSH and get a couple screw extractors, used a drill, and the broken screws came out. And it was pretty easy.

Here's the patient for surgery with full contact restraints via a bi-lok CNC vise w/ aluminum jaws. You can see the extractor laying on the lower part of the vise:



Using my GF's creme brulee butane torch to heat up the screws to degrade the locktite residue:


Create a starter hole w/ a starret pin punch (these things are great):


"Burnishing" using one end of the extractor bit and a drill. The drill is in reverse (counterclockwise so you don't tighten further!) and we go VERY slowly:


After a while we get this:


When we do the same to the front screw it pops out without even using the extractor part of the bit!


I finally do what I should have done days ago and put on a bit of kroil:


We then flip the bit around to use the extractor part. Again: go in reverse and go VERY slowly.


Which works as advertised:


Here's the broken screws:


The screws were indeed 6-38, which is really damn thin. Unfortunately I picked up 6-32 so couldn't put the rib back on. That will happen tommorrow. Hopefully my mill is setup soon so that I can drill+tap some larger holes. These screws are ridiculous.

And there you have it. Thanks for everyone's help! Once you know the right facts, things get pretty easy.

1 comment: